Anyone could potentially be the target of financial exploitation and should be cautious with finances, especially older adults.
It is hard to imagine that there are people out there that prey on the elderly, and even worse when it is someone that they know. Here are some red flags that you can watch out for to help protect your loved ones.
- Inappropriate banking activity, withdrawals that can’t be explained
- Signatures on checks that do not match.
- Checks filled out by someone else, and signed by the elder.
- Power of Attorney given by the elder when they lack the mental capacity.
- The elder taking their name off of property.
- Loan Requests
- Expensive gifts purchased by the elder.
These are just a few of the examples of possible financial elder abuse.
If you suspect elder abuse you can contact Big Sky Senior Services at 406-896-9696 for more assistance.